By default the latest Windows versions automatically install new updates, including driver updates. Updating your PC software in general is a good idea to ensure maximum security an performance. But there are cases where driver updates are not desirable, and you need to disable automatic driver updates.
Some hardware only operates with a specific driver version. Other hardware devices need a specific driver version to ensure all functionality is available. You wouldn’t want a driver update to suddenly remove features.
If you find yourself in a situation where you want to decide which driver updates to install and which ones not, you can disable automatic driver updates in Windows.
- To do this, open the Control Panel and go to System and Security.
- Next, select the System option, and click Advanced system settings.
- In the System Properties windows, you need to select the Hardware tab.
- Now click the Device Installation Settings button.
- This will bring up the Device Installations Settings window. Here you will need to change the option from Yes, do this automatically to No, let me choose what to do. And then select the option Never install driver Software from Windows Update. Next, click the Save Changes button.
After this Windows will still install regular software updates through Windows Update. But the drivers on you system are no longer automatically updated.
Disable automatic driver updates in Windows 10
For Windows 10 the steps are almost identical.
- Start the control panel by typing “control panel” in the Seach box.
- Click the Control Panel app in the search result.
- In the Control Panel window, click the System icon.
- In the Settings window, scroll down to the Related settings, and click Advanced system settings.
- From here on the steps are the same as step 3 above. The only difference is the Device installation settings window looks a little different.
Of course we recommend checking and updating your drivers with our DriverFinder software. That way you can decide which updates to install and which not!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?